Munster lights up town, Munster Education Foundation raising money for schools

Marianna Young

LIGHTING UP THE BLOCK Participating in the Holiday Lights Fundraiser, the residents on the corner of Greenwood and Elliot display their decorations. If they win, it will be their second year holding the title.

Sydney Jones, Page Editor

The Munster Education Foundation is holding their third-annual Merry & Bright Holiday Lights Experience from Dec 2-31. The event’s proceeds go to Munster schools, raising money for innovative educational experiences for students of all ages. People around Munster can enter their lit houses into this competition on their website munstereducationfoundation.org. It costs $1 dollar per vote. 

The Holiday Lights Fundraiser started in the Fall 2020 when the MEF was searching for special events to hold in the community during  the pandemic. They found inspiration in the festive decorations in Crown Point and started a Christmas decorating tradition in Munster as well. The first Holiday Lights event was held in spirit to spread Christmas joy to families who aren’t able to spend the holidays with their relatives.