Toughing it out: Wrestling team wraps up season

Season comes to an end at Semi-state

MAT TO SEMI-STATE At Hobart High School Munster wrestler, junior Gabe Tienstra faces opponent for spot in semi-state tournament “I have trained this whole season for this moment i have faced this opponent twice before and I’m confident in my moves but I always have to stay assertive and tactical ” Tienstra said.

The Wrestling team has won more duals this year than the year before.  However, after Semi-state this past weekend, the team ended their season.

“Our team has been getting better every single practice,” Lex Borrero, sophomore, said. 

Regionals were Feb. 6 at Hobart High School. The four who went were Chris Bohn, freshman, Gabriel Tienstra, junior, Daniel Kooi, senior, and Lukas Tsirtsis, freshman. 

Their scores at Regionals qualified them for Semi-state.

“I feel like Semi-State is going to be tough competition and I’m just excited to make it this far. I’m going to be practicing hard and keeping my conditioning up to prepare for Semi-state,” Kooi said.

While they won’t be going to State, the wrestlers still found positive things about their season.

“I  think I did really good this season individually and I improved a lot since last year,” Tienstra said.

COVID-19 meant the season looked a lot different.

Wrestlers keep their masks on unless doing drills or wrestling, as well as social distancing when they are not wrestling. For safety purposes, they make sure to sanitize before they start to wrestle. 

“I believe we made the best out of a crappy situation,” Adam Muntean, freshman, said. “Some of our early meets got canceled because of covid but overall it was a fun season and we worked really hard.” 

With their season ending teammates still have an upbeat attitude until the end.

“Our team was much better this year, we placed 2 in sectionals and won more duels than last year.” Finnian Meyer, sophomore said.

Since some of their teammates helped them continue and develop throughout the season. 

“My team has grown so much together and become so much greater each year,” Tienstra said.