Publications wins awards; Adviser awarded The National High School Journalism Teacher of the Year

Marianna Young

LOCKED IN Concentrated by their work, Ms. Sarah-Anne Lanman, publications adviser, and Reena Alsakaji, editor-in-chief, go over Crier’s final edits.

Dorothy Lakshmanamurthy, Page Editor

Currently at Columbia University’s Spring Convention in New York City, Ms. Sarah-Anne Lanman, publications adviser, is being awarded, alongside other teachers, for being a distinguished adviser in The National High School Journalism Teacher of the Year. 

“This award is a reflection of the work I have put in over the past 10 years, but also how much I have learned while working with students over the past 10 years,” Ms. Lanman said. 

Reena Alsakaji, senior and editor-in-chief, was a finalist for the Indiana Journalist of the Year Competition, earning $250.

“It means a lot because it highlights my progression throughout the years—not just as a writer, but as a reporter,” Reena said. “It also reflects my goal in telling authentic stories, and trying to teach my other staffers to do the same.”

Indiana High School Press Association Competition:

• Lita Cleary, Gia Cvitkovich and Ashley Garcia: second place for clubs/organizations 
  • Josephine Mittlberger: first for editorial writing
  • Reena Alsakaji: second for news writing 
  • Reena Alsakaji and Josephine Mittelberger: 1st for opinion
  • Lauren Hoogeveen: second place for sports writing
  • Lita Cleary: second place for yearbook ads/index
  • Paragon: 2023 yearbook Hoosier Star finalist