Back on track: Starting up their season, the Girls’ and Boys’ track and field team prepares for their Indoor State Finals March 25

FOLLOW+THE+LEADER+Turning+the+corner%2C+from+left+to+right%2C+seniors+Corey+Dennis+and+Dayo+Adeoye%2C+sophomores+Kwaku+Awuah+and+Ryan+Bouktache+and+Jacob+Mazumdar%2C+senior%2C+run+their+warm+up+laps+in+preparation+for+their+upcoming+meet.+

Marianna Young

FOLLOW THE LEADER Turning the corner, from left to right, seniors Corey Dennis and Dayo Adeoye, sophomores Kwaku Awuah and Ryan Bouktache and Jacob Mazumdar, senior, run their warm up laps in preparation for their upcoming meet.

Dorothy Lakshmanamurthy, Page Editor

Feeling the adrenaline rush as she got set into her race-ready position, Keira Trimolt, junior, anticipates the starting gun shot for her first ever track meet. She secured a second place finish in the 55 meter dash and third place in the 200 meter dash. 

“I was nervous because it was my first race,” Trimolt said. “Before I knew it, the race was over and I had placed very well amongst great competitors.”

The track team has been to two meets to start off their season. Their most recent at Purdue Lafayette March 11, allowed the students to qualify for the upcoming Indoor State Finals March 25 at Indiana University in Bloomington. They have been practicing everyday after school to prepare for the many upcoming meets of the season. 

“Everyone gives it their all during practices to do their best at meets and to ensure the main goal—making it to State in June,” Khtab Ishtawi, senior, said. “While I am exhausted at times, my teammates and the new coaches keep me going. I lock in while racing and only think about reaching the finish.”

One of the new coaches, Mrs. Koula Amanititis, computer science teacher, was excited to take on  a new  role this year, as she coached track before at her former school in Texas. Her favorite part of coaching is the outside practices with the team, which has been difficult due to the current weather conditions. 

“When we go outside, the whole team comes alive,” Mrs. Koula Amanatidis said. “It is nice because the sun is out, so the team generally feels good and is performing better.”

Performing on the track for his last season, it is bittersweet for Ishtawi. He tries to be as involved as possible, as he participates in several track events. 

“If doing all these events means scoring more points for my team, I will do it,” Ishtawi said. “I enjoy being at the meets with my team because we can show how hard we have worked and bring all the energy.”