Mr. Martin leaves lasting impressions after five years at Munster

What’s next for Mr. Drew Martin, math teacher, after leaving the MHS classroom and field

Atarah Israel

Seen in his classroom, Mr. Andrew Martin, math teacher, sits at his desk. He plans to retire after this school year.

Emily Dywan

Although we’ve welcomed many new faces over the past months, the high school is soon to bid farewell to a few familiar faces as well. Mr. Andrew Martin, math teacher and Munster football coach, will be leaving MHS after this school year. 

Mr. Martin has just finished his fifth year at Munster, making this his twenty-seventh year teaching overall. During his years teaching here, Mr. Martin has always found ways to get his students to engage in his classroom, whether it means cracking cheesy geometry jokes or poking fun at his class. His happiness and joking demeanor is contagious to all those around him. “The best part is every day is something new and seeing students each day,” he said.

Along with teaching, Mr. Martin has coached football for five years. He’s had a major influence on his players and always provides them a shoulder to lean on. 

“I have been a player for Coach Martin for my four years of high school,” Aleks Maric, senior, said. “As a coach he was incredible, always looking out for my health and safety. He’s taught me to always persevere through adversity and keep a smile on your face.”

Mr. James Grunewald, head varsity football coach, coached the football team alongside Mr. Martin. “Coach Martin is just a great person to be around, He helped me out in so many ways,” he says. “I look forward to visiting him in retirement down the road. He is just a great person.”

What’s next down the road for Mr. Martin is still yet to be decided. As his wife accepted a teaching position at Purdue University, he may look into finding a teaching position down near Lafayette or look into officiating football and baseball games again.

With his great experience both on the fields and in the classroom, he relays an important piece of advice to his students.

“Students, enjoy your time in high school,” Mr. Martin said. ”Try a new sport or new club. Meet as many people as you can.”