Behind the scenes: Inside the athletics office

Meet the people who make sports happen

Kristen Baurain, Photographer

High school sports: the grit of the athlete, the commitment of parents and coaches, the enthusiasm of fans, the heart of that classic American High School experience. All of it, many would argue, is impossible without those who work in the background—the MHS athletics staff. Athletics handles all the paperwork, staffing, finances, and communication it takes to get Mustangs competing.

“High school sports are a microcosm of life,” Ms. Beth Raspopovich, Assistant Athletic Director, said. “I think there’s so many life lessons that you can get from sports that you can carry with you. […] Everyone in this office just has a great heart for giving, and trying to provide the best opportunity and experience we can for our student athletes.”

“People think they come to the game and it just happens,” Mr. Ira Zimmer, Assistant Principal Athletic Director, said. “But there’s a lot more behind the scenes that people don’t understand. It’s all very fulfilling.”

A lot has to happen before players step foot on the field, court or track. Take the upcoming Boy’s Varsity basketball game against Griffith, for instance. Mrs. Tienstra, Athletics Assistant, ensures players have the necessary fees, grades, and forms, juggling phone calls and emails from parents along the way. Everyone communicates with coaches and Griffith’s athletic office, coordinating schedules and fundraisers. Since it’s a home game, Athletics stockpiles referees, concessions staff and ticket takers. And when players get hurt mid-game or during practice, trainer Steve Young is there to help them get back on their feet.

“People think they come to the game and it just happens,” Mr. Ira Zimmer, Assistant Principal Athletic Director, said. “But there’s a lot more behind the scenes that people don’t understand. It’s all very fulfilling.”

“I help athletes in providing for their whole health and wellbeing, and just being someone they feel comfortable coming to that they can trust ” Mr. Young, known to most athletes as “Steve,” said. “I love seeing people be able to reach a level that they didn’t think was possible.”

High school sports require enormous effort. However, Athletics believes the long hours they put in are more than worth it. Each staff member is an avid believer in the value of sports, serving the Munster community to give students a valuable experience.

“High school sports are a microcosm of life,” Ms. Beth Raspopovich, Assistant Athletics Director,  said. “I think there’s so many life lessons that you can get from sports that you can carry with you. […] Everyone in this office just has a great heart for giving, and trying to provide the best opportunity and experience we can for our student athletes.”

“I help athletes in providing for their whole health and wellbeing, and just being someone they feel comfortable coming to that they can  trust ” Mr. Young, known to most athletes as “Steve,” said. “I love seeing people be able to reach a level that they didn’t think was possible.”

“I enjoy the kids here at Munster. I’m glad that my kids have run through the program.”

(Photo Illustrations by Anna Evilsizor)