And the buzzer goes off

Boys’ Basketball players discuss the suspension of their season

Todd McKechnie

OFF THE COURT Last basketball season, current senior, Luka Balac, makes a move against a Lake Central defender. Now, Boys’ Basketball has been suspended, and practices have dramatically changed. ”(Before), we’ve been practicing our defense,” Luka said. “Just grinding it out everyday at practice hasn’t been easy. But we obviously want to win,” Balac said.

Alison Lee, Copy Editor

Boys’ Basketball had yet to have their first game before their season was suspended until Dec. 22 due to a player getting COVID-19. 

“I was obviously hurt,” Sean Kimble, junior, said. “We (were going to compete against) Hammond who beat us last year, and we wanted revenge. But at the same time, I was not really surprised, because we were just coming out of Thanksgiving. So I expected it, but I was hoping it didn’t happen.”

Until Dec. 22, Boys’ Basketball players have to practice on their own. However, many players have cited the difficulties of practicing at home. Gyms are hard to access, and COVID-19 makes it unsafe to practice in public spaces. 

“We’ve just been trying to keep our heads up,” Luke Balac, senior, said. “All we can do is just practice hard. Hopefully, we’ll be able to play.”

Despite a two week setback, many basketball players have a positive attitude and look to come back stronger in spite of all obstacles. 

“I think we should be good,” Kimble said. “It should be only two weeks. Everybody’s doing what they do. We should still be in shape. I feel like it’s going to be okay.”

COVID-19 has brought many new changes and set-backs for all students and MHS, and seniors on Boys’ Basketball hope to still make the best, and have a good season. 

“For a lot of us, it’s our senior year,” Balac said. “So we’re just really giving it all that we got because we know we have a good group of guys, and we can make something special happen.”

Q&A

Luka Balac
Q: How long have you been playing basketball?
A: I’ve been playing basketball since fifth grade. I’ve been playing for Munster since sixth grade.
Q: What does basketball mean to you?
A: Basketball has taught me to work hard and has allowed me to meet some of my best friends.
Q: What are your plans with basketball after highschool?
A: I’d love to continue my basketball career in college.
Sean Kimble
Q: What do you love about basketball?
A: I love to score the basketball and play defense.
A: I want to make it as far as I can go. I want to go to college (for) basketball. And eventually, if I can, I want to go pro.