Girls’ Track goes undefeated, heads to Sectionals

RACING FOR RESULTS Racing across the track, Cate Stephan, junior, and Liliana Rivera, sophomore, practice for track. In the wake of an undefeated regular season, MHS’ girls track team has been working hard to keep their streak.

Connor McDonald

Reena Alsakaji, Editor-in-Chief

Following an undefeated regular season, Girls’ Track won Conference on Tuesday, May 9. The girls’ next step is to take on Sectionals May 16. The last regular meet of the season was May 2, senior night, which solidified the girls’ undefeated record.

Girls’ Track has had an incredibly successful season, and they move on to Sectionals determined to win. Throughout their season, the girls have broken several records in both relay and discus. At Goshen High School at 8 a.m, girls in both Shot Put—Akaoma Odeluga, Tyra Wheaton, Nneka Oniah—and Discus—Akaoma Odeluga, Tyra Wheaton, Ava Tucker—events combined to break both of the event records for the meet overall.

IN THE LEAD Running the track, Campbell Gideon, junior, exercises her endurance. The girls track team has been working hard to practice for their future success this season ( photo by connor mcdonald)

On April 15 at Chesterton Senior High School, several girls broke the previous school record for the 4×200 relay. The time was 1:44.99 by the following athletes: Savannah Nuetzel, sophomore, Aliciana Mcguire, junior, Nina Garner, sophomore and Kylee Marshall, junior. Practicing for the 4×200 was pretty standard, Nuetzel reflects, but they focused a bit more on handoffs out of everything.

In addition, Tyra Wheaton, senior, broke the previous school discus record April 8 at the Ed Woodrick Invitational

. The new distance was 127 feet, 6.5 inches.

“It felt really good and everyone was happy for us,” Nuetzel said. “The atmosphere was really good, and I felt so happy that all that we worked for got all paid off.”