Robotics competes at Penn District March 3-5

Marianna Young

DREAM MACHINE Constructing their robot, Mr. Larry Hautzinger, science teacher, mentors Veer Jhaveri and Muaaz Shareef, juniors, and Michael Illyas, freshman, on the build of the robot. Everyday, the robotics team works toward their upcoming competition at Penn District March 3-5. “We put in a lot of work over the past two months trying to get it ready for competition,” Muaaz said.

Seamus Keegan, Page Editor

The stadium is loud, thousands of people walking around the robots. Abhiram Kandregula, senior, says it is a mix of emotions, but nervousness is not one of them. While you never know what to expect, the team feels confident. 

Robotics competes at Penn District in Mishawaka March 3-5, as well as their state competition April 6-8. Competitions consist of two districts competitions, regionals, state and then a world competition. Last year, Robotics took runner-up at State, an accomplishment they hope to surpass this year. They are currently working to secure funding from the Lake County Chamber of Commerce.

Veer Jhaveri, junior, the driver, is responsible for ensuring the robot is able to navigate, pick up a series of objects, and put them in the right place. Although it may sound simple, it does take practice to guide the robot correctly.

“It’s definitely a high-energy environment that you’re in,” Veer said. “And there’s a bit of pressure on you to be able to succeed.”

One of the main considerations for robotics on a yearly basis is fundraising. This year, they’ve partnered with a number of coffee shops in the area, and are placing their logos on bags to sell for a premium that goes back to the team.

“Hopefully people will see we’re not a rookie team anymore,” Abhiram said. “We’re a veteran team willing to host competitions and bring people to our school.”