Sisters Rise Up: A program for new opportunities

RISING+OPPORTUNITIES+Standing+with+her+student%2C+Mrs.+Koula+Amanatidis-Radoicic%2C+computer+science+teacher%2C+and+Leia+Maduakolam%2C+junior%2C+who+is+a+participant+of+the+program%2C+are+preparing+to+take+a+photo.+Leia+won+a+gift+card+for+her+participation+in+the+program.+

Ethan Pischner

RISING OPPORTUNITIES Standing with her student, Mrs. Koula Amanatidis-Radoicic, computer science teacher, and Leia Maduakolam, junior, who is a participant of the program, are preparing to take a photo. Leia won a gift card for her participation in the program.

Emily Dywan, Page Editor

MHS offers its second year of the Sisters Rise Up, a free online mentorship for female students of color taking an AP Computer Science course. In this program, undergraduate students from University of Michigan direct Zoom calls to offer students help on their course material. 

Leia Maduakolam, junior, participated in this program last year. 

“I was informed of many other computer-science related opportunities by being in the program,” Leia said. “Over the summer, I was able to participate in a Python research study for the University of Toronto because of my engagement in Sisters Rise Up. I really enjoyed this program, the students were always supportive and the directors provided a lot of resources. I definitely recommend this program to other AP CS students.”