“I do think the majority of students are lazier”: how COVID-19 has affected students

Students and teachers share their opinion on the pandemic

MASKED+UP+Staring+at+her+computer%2C+Josephine+Mittelberger%2C+junior%2C+works+on+her+homework+online.+After+the+pandemic%2C+school+has+moved+primarily+online.+

Anthony Young

MASKED UP Staring at her computer, Josephine Mittelberger, junior, works on her homework online. After the pandemic, school has moved primarily online.

Gregory Potchen

Have you noticed any changes in learning during or even after the pandemic? If you have, you wouldn’t be the only person who thinks that too. Both teachers and students have seemed to struggle teaching and learning more than other years.

“The pandemic has had both positive and negative effects on teaching.” Mrs. Lauren Carter, science teacher, said, “The positive effect would be that teachers were forced to become more ‘technologically savvy’ and also were challenged with engaging students in a brand-new way. The negative effect would be that students are more attached to their technology now, more than ever. It can be very difficult to manage almost 30 different computer screens at any given time.” 

Branko Rebac, a freshman student at MHS, when asked if the pandemic had any effect on his personal learning and grades said, “It didn’t change much for me. That is just me though, I just haven’t noticed any real changes.” 

During the pandemic many students said that learning during the pandemic was harder than at school. Many had the same response.

“I feel that it was harder to learn because I couldn’t interact with the teachers as much as I used to,” Owen Roberts, a freshman who plays baseball for MHS, explained.

During this year many students have reported feeling more lazy and less motivated to work hard. Many teachers have also seen a change in motivation and laziness in students at MHS too.

“I do think the majority of students are lazier,” Mrs. Carter said, “It is apparent in the amount of late/missing work, cheating, and lack of engagement during class. Much of the time students do not seem very invested in their own learning and tend to wait till the last minute to take care of business.”