Editorial: The future is ours to change

January 20, 2022

I think that Munster would be more populated and I hope they start putting cross walks. I would love for Calumet Avenue to be safer.

— Luna Gutierrez

By now it is painfully obvious to point out —2020 showed us how quickly our world can be transformed, whether we’re ready for it or not.  

Before that, though, all of us experienced the passage of time. The onslaught of recent events made us distinctly aware, but 10 years ago many of us were still in elementary school, imagining a future of flying cars or careers as astronauts. Now, with the same playgrounds we used to frequent replaced by the hotels and restaurants of Centennial Village, imagining another 10 years of change for our town and school can seem impossible.

Despite this, now is the perfect time to ensure each person has a say in what the future could look like. As Munster continues to rebuild along with the rest of the world—and STM welcomes a new superintendent into its ranks—now is  our chance to proactively create a vision of our future. Through surveys, interviews and personal experience, Crier compiled areas of interest that we would like to see improved in Munster by 2032.

I hope the town can focus less on standardized testing and more on truly enriching students.

— Delaney Craig

Bridging the gap between administration and students

In a Crier survey of 45 students, one of the most mentioned hopes for MHS’s future was increased administration interaction and transparency. Whether through polls, open forums or more meetings with Student Government, MHS needs more opportunities for both student and teacher voices to be heard. 

Creating safe spaces

This communication extends beyond having a say in public policy—students often do not feel comfortable reaching out regarding issues of bullying, sexual assault or racial discrimination in fear of their concerns falling on deaf ears. Mustang Mental Health, Black Culture Club and programs like the Stop It app are a step in the right direction toward creating a safe environment, but more cooperative effort between administration and students is needed to accommodate a student body increasingly diverse in backgrounds and experiences.

More buildings, worse traffic (especially at the schools).

— Destiny Muczynski

Upgrading the town while  maintaining its charm

Throughout our interviews, every student mentioned construction around Centennial Village, whether positive or negative. Having spaces for future generations to spend luxury time is important for the advancement of the town, but this comes at the expense of nostalgic spaces and freedom to roam. 

Maintaining a proactive environment

By 2032, we need a MHS that is willing to rethink how we view the future—not as a preplanned spreadsheet to sacrifice the present, but an opportunity to work towards. Many students do not only have a 10 year plan for exactly what prestigious career they (or their parents) want them to pursue, but a plan for their whole life. Frequently, you will hear graduates say that while MHS gave them opportunities to succeed, everything was a competition and they didn’t realize how damaging the environment was until they left. Our wellbeing and chance to discover ourselves now is no less important than the happiness we think we’ll have in the future. 

In 10 years I think Munster will be the same; however, I think it will become even more diverse.

— Amaya Dandridge