After a change in coaching staff, Hockey discusses goals for the season

Anthony Young

AWAITING ACTION Going against Crown Point at the Kube in Hammond, Ashton Silva, freshman, faces off for the puck. “One thing I am really excited about is State being around the corner,” Silva said, “as a freshman I’m looking forward to playing myself.”

Josephine Mittelberger, Business Manager

With club Hockey losing a coach a few weeks ago, many changes have occurred. One of these changes being practices immediately starting with repetitive drills. The four coaches of Hockey have begun to incorporate more teamwork based ways of learning into their practices.

“Part of the philosophy for Munster is to have an identity,” Coach Jim Riffice said. “What we needed to do was put together philosophy, something that everyone can do. What we’re focusing on are the things that we can change immediately.”

Recently, the team has begun to win more games and, in turn, work harder in practices. With a sport that has to pay for every minute they are on the ice, coaches have structured the beginning of practices to be repetitive drills that improve their skating, passing and shooting in games. 

“We’ve been talking more on the ice, enjoying ourselves in the locker room and we’ve been having a lot of fun,” Aidan Kemp, junior, said. 

Though the feeling of being on and off the ice for over an hour is tiring, nothing beats the hope of getting one more goal. No matter how exhausting skating down the rink can be, players enjoy the rush of the game. 

“My favorite thing is when I set up somebody for a goal, I love getting assists,” Ben Riffice, sophomore, said. 

With motivation from their Crown Point win—3-1—Hockey continues to work towards their overarching goal of keeping their title as State champions. Though they have started the year with a record of 4-10-2 Coach Riffce is confident that the players are improving with each game. Players have improved their teamwork by being more situationally aware to improve plays. 

“My philosophy is games are games, they’re just (practice). Games aren’t there for any other reason in my book,” Coach Riffice said. “Throughout the year, practices should represent how long we’re practicing and our games represent how we practice.”