They got your back: Student Government discusses their function

Student Government explains how they organize Homecoming for students

Kristen Baurain

IN GOOD HANDS Arman Kumar, senior, and Sierra Sweeny, senior, discuss Student Government’s upcoming Homecoming plans. Student Government also plans drives, donates to charities, and distributes funds to clubs. “Generally at these meetings, there’s an agenda we need to discuss,” Arman said. “We collectively come up with ideas that we feel represent the student body.”

Tasked with representing the student body, Student Government serves as both leaders and ambassadors. Members propose new ideas, while teachers, students and administrators are free to make any suggestions. Meetings are held each Tuesday in Mrs. Kathleen LaPorte’s, sponsor, room. There, discussions are held and led by the president and vice president. These discussions are followed by voting. While they cannot create or implement policies directly, they do maintain a direct link to the administration.

“I view them as a liaison between us and you guys,” Mr. Mike Wells, principal, said. “They have their own agenda that they discuss, and if they want to do something in the school, they bring it to my attention.”

Events such as Homecoming provide the funds necessary to carry out other events initiatives down the road. Much of Student Government’s time is spent on these activities, purchasing supplies and managing setup. Much of this work happens behind the scenes, ensuring all can run smoothly.

“Seeing some of those things taken away, I’ve come to realize how important and fun some of the things I thought were stupid really are,” Anushka Majety, senior and student body president, said. “Even if it is difficult to push ideas that will enhance the student body’s experience, I think it is significant to have a platform to force adults in this school to examine issues and check themselves. Our campaign was meaningful to me in that we were able to at least acknowledge disparities and problems that so often go unspoken.”