Rewind into the past

Alexis Perez and Lauren Hoogeveen

In the 1990’s, the human spirit was alive and thriving with eccentric era of fashion and music. Now, with a push for the vintage, ‘90s music and fashion is making a comeback. With most teachers during the ‘90s and students having not, the younger  generation tends to judge it more now than then. 

“Self Esteem” by The Offspring

Lauren Hoogeveen

A majority of the teachers mentioned that this was a very popular song, so they immediately recognized it. The bass at the start is what really catches your attention and is what pulled me into listening to the rest of the song. I think this is a really powerful piece— like something from a movie scene.

The teachers rated this song and automatically recognized it because of the guitar playing at the start. I am more into the guitarist and drums because I think they play a pretty important role in this song since the first part is mostly guitar.

The song “Self Esteem” is based off of a semi-true story with Dexter Holland’s own experiences and his friends. It is about a guy who lets his girlfriend walk all over him—it depicts his lack of self esteem. I like the background of this song and the music really does portray that type of feeling. I would give this song a four out of five.

“Wonderwall” by Oasis

Lauren Hoogeveen

One of Britain’s most popular rock bands of the 90’s, the band Oasis formed in Manchester in 1991. Their album “Morning Glory?” was popular internationally and became one of the best selling albums of all time. 

I do not think “Wonderwall” is a horrible song, but I don’t think it’s my favorite out of the ‘90s songs we picked. I like the background and the instrumental parts of it, but I do agree with Mr. Matthew Kalwasinski and Mr. Steve Lopez when they both said the lead singer of Oasis sounds “whiny.” There is a good beat but I’m not a huge fan of the vocals. I rate this song two out of five stars. 

Mr. Steven Stepnoski, English teacher, recognized “Wonderwall” immediately. It was one of the first songs he learned how to play on the guitar because he wanted to impress his peers in high school. Mr. Stepnoski complained that this song is “overplayed,” so he decided to give it a four out of five.

“1979” by The Smashing Pumpkins

Lauren Hoogeveen

An American alternative rock band from Chicago, the Smashing Pumpkins has sold 30 million albums worldwide and is still widely talked about today.

I absolutely loved their song “1979”. It’s just such a relaxing song to me. This song reminds me of summer—it feels like you are out late at night talking with your friends and having a good time.

“1979” is a song that was written about the transition out of youth into adulthood, which I think is portrayed well in the music. The lead singer remembered being in high school and having adult responsibilities such as a car and job, but still being dependent on his parents.

I relate to this song because I do have many adult responsibilities but I am just a highschool student that relies on my parents sometimes. I would definitely give this song a five out of five. It’s one of my favorite songs to listen to while doing homework.

“Greedy Fly” by Bush

Lauren Hoogeveen

Originating in London, England, the British rock band, Bush, had their name written all over the Billboard rock charts in the 90’s. In 1994, they immediately blew up with their debut album, “Sixteen Stone.” 

The song “Greedy Fly” has been interpreted as a person contemplating their view and values of the world. It is about a transformation of a person and culturally accepted beliefs in society. 

I really enjoyed the song “Greedy Fly” when I first listened to it. I think the lead singer has a really nice voice and I like the instrumental part in the beginning of the song. This song has a really cool vibe to it—it almost reminds me of a song you would hear in the movie “Freaky Friday” from 2003. I rate this song four out of five stars. 

Mrs. Katie Harris, math teacher, was particularly enthusiastic when we played “Greedy Fly.” Gavin Rossdale, the lead singer of Bush, was Mrs. Harris’ high school celebrity crush. She also went to a Bush concert when she was 15 years old—her first concert ever. 

Anna Evilsizor
Anna Evilsizor
Anna Evilsizor
Lauren Hoogeveen