Girls’ and Boys’ Basketball teams get in the zone

Basketball prepares for games tonight and tomorrow

Anna Evilsizor

DRIVING TO THE BASKET Protecting the ball against Kankakee Valley at the JV game, Yaw Awuah, sophomore, tries to score a basket. “I was feeling like I gotta do something to help my team out or get something going,” Awuah said.

Reena Alsakaji, Page Editor

Yet again, the Boys’ and Girls’ Basketball teams practice fiercely for their upcoming games, eager to take their opponents down. Tonight, the girls are set to play against Highland, while tomorrow, the boys are scheduled to face off in a high-stakes game against Hobart.

“We’ve been watching a lot of film, running plays that we think will be best against their defense,” Charlize Lorenz, sophomore, Varsity Girls’ Basketball player, said. “We have seen players that are their biggest threats and are studying how to shut them down efficiently.”

Undoubtedly, practicing for upcoming games has been a challenge in the pandemic, particularly regarding teamwork. Prior to COVID-19, team meals, morning practices and many activities unpermitted today were a regular. The lack of this interaction has had a major impact on the teams’ game preparation.

“We have been really trying to improve our performance by shooting and fixing our pace,” Lily Mason, sophomore, JV Girls’ Basketball player, said. “We’ve also been trying to work and practice better and harder as a team.”

On the boys’ end, the athletes prepare for their long-awaited conference game with Hobart. 

“This group of seniors has never lost a conference game at the varsity level and have won three straight conference championships,” Coach Michael Hackett, head boys’ coach, said. “Our goal is to keep those streaks going.” 

As things progress, the basketball season continues to face its ups and downs. Athletes are working hard to stay victorious in the matches they compete in, and look forward to future games.

“A lot of our games have been getting rescheduled which makes us feel excited for the upcoming weeks,” Trinity Hogge, sophomore, Varsity Girls’ Basketball player, said. “I just try to stay positive and keep on top of my game.”