Building up the future: A look into upcoming construction projects, administration looks forward to next ten years of STM

FINAL BOW Within the next two years, the entire auditorium and lobby will be reconstructed and designed. Backstage, changes will also be made to some of the equipment that MTC uses for their productions to make them safer, such as the fly space stairs. This is currently planned to be done summer of 2025.
Zoe Clark
GIVING IT A REST Empty lockers sit in the orchestra room waiting to be remodeled. Along with the whole room being redone, new features will be refurbished. (Emma Starkey)

Grabbing extra folding chairs from the closets of the Administration building to compensate for the surplus of people attending the April 8 School Board meeting, the crowd murmured about primarily the same topic: the potential purchase of the Center for Performing Arts. Despite the offer being presented by the Community Foundation themselves due to financial issues, many members of the community spoke out in favor of keeping the Center as is. In a press release from Wednesday, the School Board announced “stepping back from the acquisition process” to “enable the Town of Munster to pursue its own evaluations and determine the property’s suitability for its needs.”

“Initially, our exploration of the property began with the understanding that the Town of Munster was not interested in pursuing this property,” Dr. Bret Heller, superintendent, said. “However, during discussions with some members of the Munster Town Council and Town Leadership, it became apparent that they have an interest in the property and would like to conduct their own research and due diligence.”

According to Dr. Heller, since the original offer March 11, the board investigated the cost of operating the building, potential uses, ability to maintain current art and music programs and ways it could be connected to the students.

“[We discussed] is it in the best interest of the School Town of Munster to do this? But also is it the best for the community? We actually, despite what people think, actually care about what the community wants as well.”

Ultimately, the board’s main focus is their plan for the next four years: introducing pre-K classes at two elementary schools this fall, finishing up current projects throughout the elementary, middle and high school and replacing the bleachers and scoreboard in the fieldhouse. Currently in the works is redoing the performing arts rooms, the auditorium and lobby. With all three music classes in a row, it does not allow for much expansion. Instead, the choir room will be moved into the empty space above the language classes. Band and orchestra will remain in the current performing arts hallway, but just dividing that space into two instead of three.

Although no official blueprints are set in place, administrators have been in contact with the music teachers to take suggestions for upgrades. For example, Miss Levacy Quinn, orchestra director, suggested a humidity-controlled room to help protect the instruments, which is what the current room never had, causing instruments to wear down quicker over time. Mr. Ian Marcusiu and Mr. Adam Beaupre, band directors, created multiple plans for the remodel, going back and forth with administration and the architects until they landed on a layout that fit the budget and satisfied their requests. Overall, each room will be getting new paint, flooring, soundproofing materials and an entirely new layout consisting of three practice rooms and instrument racks instead of lockers.

“I think it’s great that they’re making the changes,” Miss Quinn said. “It feels like these rooms are straight out of the seventies and in dire need of some TLC, especially since the orchestra room is currently set up like a band room. It will be inconvenient to be displaced from the orchestra room for the majority of the year, but having a fresh new space will be great for the students.”

Looking further into the next ten years, there are discussions being had amongst the School Board and Town of Munster about moving the tennis courts somewhere else near MHS and WWMS, putting a new sports complex in its place. According to Dr. Heller, it would provide sports the ability to practice inside in case of weather issues and also allow for more specialized, sport-specific equipment, such as an indoor track. Although the new tennis courts location is not confirmed, Dr. Heller explained it needs to be close enough for PE classes and the tennis program, but also where it can remain a community space and room for potential pickleball courts.

BREAK POINT Including indoor changes, STM plans to move the tennis courts between the high school and to new locations. To replace them, there may be a new sports complex with an indoor track and other amenities. (Zoe Clark)

“There are times where we have kids practicing at eight o’clock at night because that’s the only time they can get gym space,” Dr. Heller said. “We want to get every one of our high school programs able to practice right after school so that they can go home and do their homework and spend time with their friends and family.”